How to apply?

HELBUS admissions are based on essay questions and interviews gauging your motivation, strengths, and future career aspirations. We look for applicants who can provide balanced and well-thought arguments in their essay questions and demonstrate the level of communication required in higher education studies.

How to apply?

Applying is easy. Simply fill in the application form in the brown box below and upload scanned copies of your upper secondary school diplomas and other required documents (see below). You can save your application and return to complete it at any time. Remember to hit “submit” when you have completed everything.

When to apply?

You can apply throughout the year. The available start dates and application deadlines depend on your background, as more time will be needed to apply for a residence permit.

What documents do you need to apply?

The minimum entry requirements for Bachelor’s studies are similar across most applicant groups, but the documentation required varies. For your application to be complete, please check here that you have provided the following documentation:

  Finnish citizens EU/EEA citizens Non-EU citizens
Online application form completed and submitted
Photo uploaded in your application
Upper secondary schooling leaving certificate (1) ✔(*) ✔ (*)
Certificate of English language (A1) proficiency (2) (2) (3)
Transcripts and certificates of any other post-secondary education, if applicable ✔(**)
Copy of passport  
Copy of residence permit    

(1) Upper secondary school leaving certificate is your high school or matriculation diploma, diploma from your 3-year vocational college programme, or similar document from your home country that states that you have the eligibility to apply for higher education studies. The document must be in English, Finnish or Swedish, or officially translated into English.

(*) You can apply even before receiving the final results of your matriculation exam. In such cases you may receive a conditional offer that will be made unconditional after you send us your final results.

(2) If you are an applicant from Finland or the EU/EEA, you do not need a formal English language proficiency test for your application, but you should demonstrate sufficient English skills in the application form and your high school diploma. Please note that sufficient English skills are an absolute necessity to be able to understand and contribute to the courses effectively.

(3) If you are a non-EU citizen, IELTS 6.0 with no section below 5.5 is required, or if you have work experience where you have used English, we may be able to accept that too as an evidence of English proficiency. Citizens of United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand do not need an English language proficiency test.

** Non-EU students who need a student residence permit must have another first degree that they want to complement with business and management studies. This condition is not applicable for those who already have a residence in Finland due to other reasons, such as family.

The admissions process 

1. For EU citizens and those who do NOT need a student residence permit

  • You can start your studies any time a new course module starts during the fall term up until January (every three weeks).
  • There is no entrance examination.
  • After you have completed the application form, uploaded the required documents and submitted the application, we will review it and send you an interview invitation. This interview can be held by telephone or Skype. Please see the application deadlines here.
  • You will receive the admission decision by email normally within two weeks of the interview.
  • To confirm your study place, a confirmation invoice may be sent, which will be reimbursed in the first tuition fee invoice.
  • Closer to the start of your studies you will receive the New Student Letter informing you of practical details of starting your studies.

Accepting a study place at HELBUS will not affect your first-time applicant status in the Finnish state university system.

2. For non-EU citizens who need a student residence permit

(Please note that if you are from outside EU, the immigration will not give you a full time residence permit. Therefore you can only study on the online program and make occasinal visits to Finland with a tourist visa. If you have a recidence permit to Finland on some other grounds that studying, the you can ofcourse study full time on site.)